RE: Landscaping iris/ Landscaping with TBs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Landscaping iris/ Landscaping with TBs
  • From: bstassen@comp.uark.edu (Robert E. Stassen)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:16:38 -0700 (MST)

I write this with serious hesitation--but here goes--TB iris are a poor
choice in most landscaping situations.  As someone that might consider
planting iris in 'commercial' bed, here would be my criticisms:

1.  Short color season in a typical planting situation.
2.  Foliage loses attractiveness following bloom.
3.  Maintenance--stalk and diseased leave removal.  A great haven for
wind-blown trash and other litter.
4.  Pest problems, ranging from borer, to leaf spot, to soft rot, weed
problems, require either an attentive gardener or regular spray programs.
5.  Do best in specific conditions--full sun, good drainage.

I have seen (as I'm sure many of you also) well-meaning growers establish
large plantings of iris (rhizomes left after rennovating their clumps) in
situations where there was no  commitment from the group that planted the
bed to make a similar commitment to maintenance (with predictable results).
How can we expect any different outcome from someone less loving of iris?
Frankly, all the benefits of promoting iris (that comes through putting on
an iris show) can be offset by putting iris in situations where a lack of
maintentance highlights their negatives.  I hope this posting is not found
to be offensive, but believe me--I've seen it enough to know.