Re: TB-Culture indoors

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB-Culture indoors
  • From: Irisborer <Irisborer@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:56:26 -0700 (MST)

<< Has anyone tried to force TBs indoors in the winter as we do with pots of
 tulips, and other Spring flowering bulbs. Is it possible to pot them up in
 the Fall and let them rest outside for a few months and bring them inside
 to bloom, perhaps under fluorescent lights?
 Sally in the valley >>

Not talls, but I've successfully forced SDB's!  Well, OK - I got one to bloom
last year.  But it was certainly a welcome sight in Buffalo in March.

I did exactly as you suggest - potted up a bunch in the fall, Left them
outside where I could easily find them under the snow... then brought them in
a month before the show.  I was told that SDB's do better with this treatment
than any other iris.

We also do reticulata's here.... which are a snap.  In fact, they bloom almost
TOO fast when you bring them in.

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY