Re: TB-Culture indoors

><< Has anyone tried to force TBs indoors in the winter as we do with pots of
> tulips, and other Spring flowering bulbs. Is it possible to pot them up in
> the Fall and let them rest outside for a few months and bring them inside
> to bloom, perhaps under fluorescent lights?
> Sally in the valley >>
>Not talls, but I've successfully forced SDB's!  Well, OK - I got one to bloom
>last year.  But it was certainly a welcome sight in Buffalo in March.
>I did exactly as you suggest - potted up a bunch in the fall, Left them
>outside where I could easily find them under the snow... then brought them in
>a month before the show.  I was told that SDB's do better with this treatment
>than any other iris.
>We also do reticulata's here.... which are a snap.  In fact, they bloom almost
>TOO fast when you bring them in.
>Kathy Guest
>E. Aurora, NY
Dear Kathy: I have had the talls bloom indoors. I have a seedling in bloom
right now from (seedling X Joan's Pleasure). It has S of almost solid
brown-violet, and yellow falls bordered with the same color. It is very
nice. The pod parent is also a remontant, and I would presume that it is
easier to force a rebloomer than a non-rebloomer. Two years ago I dug some
16 plants and had bloom most of the winter. As to the timing for a show, I
have no experience. Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC