Re: landscape irises

Dennis Stoneburner writes:

> Also, no matter who tells you what......Bearded
> irises have awful looking foliage during the summer and fall in contrast
> with Siberians and many Louisianas.  If you want to spend all your time
> grooming and tending bearded irises, go for it!  If not, forget the
> "landscape" craze.  There are plenty of other plants that would work
> better.  (like Hostas...  :-))

Spoken like a man from the cloudy and wooded East! Out here in the wide
open spaces with our clear skies and intense solar radiation,  Hostas fry
to a crisp unless they get virtually full day shade, which is not easy to
come by. As for Siberians and Louisianas, they require too much extra water
and special soil amendments to be considered "landscape" subjects. Good ol'
TBs make it through the summer with minimal irrigation and their foliage is
not near as dreadful looking as you infer, even if they are not among the
Top Ten Best Foliage Plants.