Re: Iris setosa (response)

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Diana Louis wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Daryl &Kathy Haggstrom wrote:
> > Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:
> > > Breeding this species in the garden will generate considerable
> variety but it cannot >compare with the variety that one has in
> nature.  For this reason alone, I would begin by >scouring the
> countryside for natural variants.
>  <snip>
> > know they use different measures botanically(?). I mentioned to
> Diana
> > Louis via e-mail that I wondered about her comment that she suspected I.
> > hookeri came before I. setosa. I told her I always assumed I setosa
> I will answer this one first because I said that I thought I
> hookeri was the setosa parent of the original I versicolor hybrid,
> I hookeri X I virginica var schrevei. I didn't say that I setosa
> came from I hookeri, in fact, I think it's the otherway round ie I
> hookeri is derived from I setosa. If you take a look at the
> geographical ranges of I versicolor and I hookeri in the NANI
> webpage (address cited below) you will see why I think I hookeri is
> the setosa parent in the I vers hybrid.  Diana Louis
I would like to add a bit to this message. One of the things
that bothers me about the occurence of I hookeri (= setosa var
canadensis) on the east coast of N America is how did it get there
from the west coast? Did it originally occur on the entire north
coast of an earlier N American continent and spread down the east
coast to Maine and the Canadian maritime Provinces? I would really
like to know. Anybody have enough geology to offer clues?

 Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email
address Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page