Re: Iris setosa (response)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris setosa (response)
  • From: Daryl &Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:30:25 -0700 (MST)

Diana Louis wrote:

> I will answer this one first because I said that I thought I
> hookeri was the setosa parent of the original I versicolor hybrid,
> I hookeri X I virginica var schrevei. I didn't say that I setosa
> came from I hookeri, in fact, I think it's the otherway round ie I
> hookeri is derived from I setosa. If you take a look at the
> geographical ranges of I versicolor and I hookeri in the NANI
> webpage (address cited below) you will see why I think I hookeri is
> the setosa parent in the I vers hybrid.
So sorry I reversed your meaning on that! It would be kind of crucial,
would it not? Actually, I don't have much of a vested interested in
which originated which. It would be interesting to find out, but that is
all for me. I have some very unscientifically based, illy formed
assumptions, but I recognize them as such, so I'm very willing to accept
other input. I find such issues interesting, because I tend to see them
in action in the large groupings of I. setosa I run across.
Re: the geographical spread of I. hookeri & I. setosa, a friend in the
dept. of U of AK told me at one time there was a huge ice cap which
extended from northern Canada down into the middle portion of the U.S.
The edges of both sides of the continent were the most ice-free, but
caused a large natural barrier between eastern & western U.S. He was
doing a study on the slow spread of very hardy Lodgepole Pine into
Alaska from Canada, a result of that same schism. I'm not certain it is
even considered a theory any more. I believe it is verified by now, but
not certain. Anyway, one can see how that could have been the dynamic
for the separation & development into two stable populations. I've
always thought if I was to see any "precursors", I might need to do a
scouting expedition on the Alaskan side of Canada, & have been drooling
to do that for a couple years. That actually might occur this summer, &
I will be in iris heaven. My husband said it would be ok if I flew over
to Canada in the plane, & stayed for a week, if I REALLY wanted to. Does
a cow moo?
Again, sorry for assigning a different comment to you other than you
meant. Also, enjoyed your observations & hope to hear from you again.
Kathy Haggstrom
Anch, AK
Zone 3