Re: Historic Iris ID

Melissa Harris wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to identify a TB that is growing in my parent's yard. It was
> blooming the first week of December.
> Height is about 20" in bloom. The blooms are dark purple - solid with some
> yellowish veining on the edges on the base of the falls. The beards are
> light yellow (a creamy color, nearly white with yellow tips). The overall
> shape of the flower is old fashioned, small and reminiscent of the shape of
> I. pallida.
> I am interested in identifying this iris as it may have originally come out
> of my great grandmother's yard. She lived in Northeastern California in
> zone 6. The plant is currently in zone 10a, where it just finished
> blooming.
> Any ideas?
My first inclination is Crimson King.  This variety is quite prevalent
in California and does bloom at this time.  It also may qualify as a
"Landscape Iris" as well as a "Historic survivor".  You live near Phil
Edinger, HIPS Variety ID chairman, so you could either give him a call,
send him a picture or the plant itself which he would grow for you.  He
does this as part of his job.  Phil's address is PO Box 637, Cloverdale,
CA 95425. Phone: 707-894-3225.

If this is Crimson King, it would now be classifed as an Intermediate
Bearded and not a Tall.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California...Sierra Nevada foothills near the gateway to
Zone 8