Re: landscape irises, ratty foliage, and other genera

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: landscape irises, ratty foliage, and other genera
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:38:46 -0700 (MST)

On the subject of landscape irises, garden irises, etc.  I must say I
appreciate the thoughtful manner in which Anner addressed both issues.  I
think, as usual, there is probably some merit on both sides.  However, the
growing locale cannot be underestimated.  Here in my part of Texas all
plants sometimes start showing stress as early as the first week in June.
Not always, but often enough to be a factor which can't be disregarded.  In
this respect, many irises prove their worth if only in their ability to
survive and then reward you the next season, albeit a brief one.  I may not
be the best judge of the foliage, since grasshoppers tend to leave the
leaves in shreds early in the season, along with most everything else
containing chlorophyll.  This year a lady told me to sprinkle flour around
the plants and the grasshoppers would eat it, then expand and presumably
explode.  Anyone out there tried this remedy?

Also, from firsthand experience, warm weather grooming can have unpleasant
results if you have garden visitors of the copperhead and rattlesnake
variety.

Donald
donald@eastland.net
beautiful weather today between Abilene and Fort Worth