Re: Historic Iris ID-Crimson King ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Historic Iris ID-Crimson King ?
  • From: Melissa Harris <melarris@sirius.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:59:22 -0700 (MST)

Thank you for such a quick response. I just happened to receive Crimson
King as a bonus iris this fall. (planted too late for winter bloom,
though..) By the description in your 1997 catalog, I didn't think that C.K.
was as dark as the one that I'm working to identify. It looks as if I will
find out if it is Crimson King in the spring either way.

Thank you also for the information about the HIPS Variety ID chairman. I
just happened to send in my membership to HIPS this morning.

>My first inclination is Crimson King.  This variety is quite prevalent
>in California and does bloom at this time.  It also may qualify as a
>"Landscape Iris" as well as a "Historic survivor".  You live near Phil
>Edinger, HIPS Variety ID chairman, so you could either give him a call,
>send him a picture or the plant itself which he would grow for you.  He
>does this as part of his job.  Phil's address is PO Box 637, Cloverdale,
>CA 95425. Phone: 707-894-3225.
>If this is Crimson King, it would now be classifed as an Intermediate
>Bearded and not a Tall.
>Rick Tasco

>Melissa Harris wrote:

>> Height is about 20" in bloom. The blooms are dark purple - solid with some
>> yellowish veining on the edges on the base of the falls. The beards are
>> light yellow (a creamy color, nearly white with yellow tips). The overall
>> shape of the flower is old fashioned, small and reminiscent of the shape of
>> I. pallida.
 Any ideas?