Re: OT: Withlacoochee River (was Lioness and plants)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Withlacoochee River (was Lioness and plants)
  • From: lynn.woosley@juno.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:39:03 -0700 (MST)

Pat writes:
>> >  No gators in that river,
>> > I have wade in that river looking for petrified coral near

Don't be sure there are no gators in the Little Withlacoochee.  They are
endemic to south Georgia.  My husband regulates dams in GA, and sees them
frequently throughout that part of the state.

Mark writes:
>>      This is a different Withlacoochee River.  I have seen the one in
>> Georgia.  They are two separated rivers.  The one here starts near
>>Winter Haven, then flows north and northwest to Dunnellon, then goes
>>into the Gulf of Mexico.

The Little Withlacoochee (the one in GA) joins with the Alapaha River and
the Suwannee River near Ellaville, FL.   The combined river is known as
the Suwannee, and dumps into the Gulf of Mexico.

Griff writes:
>Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac (there's only a paltry one) near
>Mount Vernon, VA  jgcrump@erols.com (And, for heaven's sake, please
>translate Withlacoochee for us. Who knows when we might run into

If you really want to be confused by duplicate names, ask for "Peachtree
Street" in the Atlanta area.  Last I heard, there are around 80 streets
in the area with the word "Peachtree" in their name.  I can see three of
them from my office!

Lynn Woosley
Marietta, GA
USDA Zone 8