RE: Landscaping Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Landscaping Irises
  • From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 19:55:20 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

I have three older TB irises that I could easily class as landscape =
types. Two of these were a gift from a neighbor and the names have been =

A white one with yellow at the shoulders that looks like a twin to =
Gudrun   increases like a weed, showing very little if any problems with =
our wet and cold springs. After years of trying to corral it (even the =
tiniest piece left in the soil bounces back) I've finally conceded =
defeat and have decided to turn it loose in one of the less well tended =
beds. If any iris will do well there, it will be this one.=20

The other is a rather tall blue with a violet cast. The color glows from =
a distance and it's been given a border area to overrun. This is another =
one that shows little problems with leaf spot and increases wonderfully. =

The third iris is also tall and shows good resistance to leaf spot. The =
standards are light gold and falls are gold with a rose tan overlay. I =
found the start on a walk through the woods at an abandoned garbage =
dump. This should have given me a clue as to how quickly it can =
increase, nevertheless, I took it home. I'm still impressed with its =
will to survive....The dump was in heavy shade and this rhisome was =
balanced on a piece of junk 3" above the ground. It had managed to get =
the tips of its roots into the soil and was growing!

The appearance of the leaves during the post bloom period shouldn't be =
that much of a problem with a little planning. A few of these older =
irises are interplanted with drought tollerant companions like Clara =
Curtis Daisy and Veronica spicata. When one show ends another begins and =
the height of the companion plants camoflages any ratty looking iris =

Christy Hensler
zone 4 Newport, WA