This morning I receive the BIS bulletin.  What do I find but an account
of Japanese irises with a photo of sanguinea.  This flower is "dark
reddish-purple" whereas the Hiroshima flower is blue-purple.  Quite a
difference, however, when one examines the range of colour in laevigata,
one can find a similar range.  In addition, the falls are really round
and it is difficult to see whether they are as round in the Hiroshima
photo.  Hiroshi Shimizu, the author of the BIS article, also points out
that he has found some sanguinea that are branched!

All this confirms that uncertainty is a feature of science.  A friend of
mine at US Santa Barbara once wrote a scientific paper saying that my
findings on sex changes in crabs were completely wrong.  I accepted the
idea.  About five years later, he wrote another longer article saying
that I was right in the first place!

May be some one in Hiroshima should look at a lot of the flowers and
give us a more definitive decision. Nomura Masato can you arrange this?

Ian, in Ottawa