Re: I. Pseudacorus moisture question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. Pseudacorus moisture question
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:06:07 -0700 (MST)

Duane Buell wrote:
> I have some seedlings that are growing well under lights with daily
> watering. I'm keeping them clipped off at about 10" and the tips of
> the plants are within an inch or two of the light tubes. Since these
> are a "water iris" I am wondering if they would do better if the base
> of the pot were in standing water so it is constantly wet?
> Thanks,
> Duane

For what its worth, my Pseudacorus are grown in soil in a bed along with
bearded and lilies.  They grow, thrive and bloom each year and do just
fine.  If anything the plants might be somewhat shorter.

If your seedlings look healthy and are growing well I would not
introduce more water at this time.  And please raise the light fixtures!

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8