Re: What is a Species (was Re: Iris setosa)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: What is a Species (was Re: Iris setosa)
  • From: Jim Wilson <wilsonjh@one.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:05:54 -0700 (MST)

At 10:32 AM 12/19/97 -0700, Bill Shear wrote:
>Based on these criteria, zoologists would, if they had their way, recognize
>far fewer species of plants than do botanists.
**
Just for fun, what might they recognize among irises?

Among Siberians, would it make sense to recognize the
28-chromosome, "robust" set as one species and the
40-chromosome, "gracile" set as another?  That would
correspond to what Lenz called the subseries level,
but Mathews doesn't seem to talk about subseries.
>From the point of view of an interested person, that
level seems like a helpful one, whatever it's called.
I'd like to see how it applies to the beardeds.
                                        --Jim
__
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@one.net    http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh