Re: I. Pseud. lighting Was re: moisture question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. Pseud. lighting Was re: moisture question
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 19:54:09 -0700 (MST)

Duane Buell wrote:

> What do you recommend for the lighting distance? I'm using a four tube
> flourescent fixture and cool-white bulbs. My experience with gro-lux and
> similar high cost bulbs in the past has been pretty ho-hum considering their
> cost. Maybe their efficiency has changed in the past 6 or 8 years :-).

I have been using indoor light fixtures for well over 20 years and I
have tried many different types of lighting.  However, after reading an
article sometime ago, I now use just simple cool and warm white
florescent tubes. One each per two tube fixture.  This produces lighting
that simulates natural light and everthing I grow under it seems to
thrive.  Lately it has been difficult to find the warm white tubes.
They are about twice as expensive, but nowhere near the cost of the
fancy Gro-lux etc.

I keep my plants anywhere from 1 to 8 inchs depending on the plant.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8