OT: was Rick Tasco's lighting comment

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: was Rick Tasco's lighting comment
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@ibm.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:30:16 -0700 (MST)

At 07:54 PM 12/19/97 -0700, Rick wrote:
>I have been using indoor light fixtures for well over 20 years and I
>have tried many different types of lighting.  However, after reading an
>article sometime ago, I now use just simple cool and warm white
>florescent tubes. One each per two tube fixture.  This produces lighting
>that simulates natural light and everthing I grow under it seems to
>thrive.  Lately it has been difficult to find the warm white tubes.
>They are about twice as expensive, but nowhere near the cost of the
>fancy Gro-lux etc.
>I keep my plants anywhere from 1 to 8 inchs depending on the plant.
>Rick Tasco

Rick,

What kind of light stands do you use.  I would like to set up an indoor
light shelf system, but all of the stands I have seen in catalogs are a
little pricey in the hundreds of dollars range (and they really aren't very
attractive).  I just want a place to start iris seeds and grow some African
Violets.  Any suggestions or anyone know where I could get some good plans
to build my own shelf?  I have been thinking of something made with thick
PVC pipe, but no way is my wife going to let me put PVC in the dining room
next to her china cabinet. :)

Donald Mosser
dmosser@ibm.net
North Augusta, SC, USDA Zone 8