Re: SIB - True landscape Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SIB - True landscape Iris
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:45:47 -0700 (MST)

John Coble said:

<<  Siberian iris are the only iris that can be recommended to a landscaper
for
 use in landscaping a perennial planting. >>

I think this is idea is unnecessarily limiting. The spurias, especially
I.orientalis, once known as I. ocraleuca, have been used with great success in
perennial plantings in England at least since the turn of the century and
could easily be used here, I.pallida performs superbly in mass in appropriate
sites, in some areas a large, flowing planting of I. tectorum has been proven
to be very effective, I. pseudacorus in its various color forms is a superb
landscape plant for wet or dry situations, and so forth. As I am not terribly
knowledgeable about the fine points of Japanese iris culture I will refrain
from remarking that they and the laevigatas might do well along a running
stream in the middle distance, or along the edges of a small pond. Or are we
just talking about berms and borders, here?

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com