Species/tender irises, etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Species/tender irises, etc
  • From: ECPep <ECPep@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:54:15 -0700 (MST)

	Rima wrote re sunny conditions:

>My two are very young plants, but after listening to all this, I guess
>they'll never bloom unless I keep running them from one sunny window to
>the next all day.  I only get a few hours of direct sunlight at a time
>on each side of the front of the house.  that's when we have sun.  It
>did spend the summer outdoors and will next summer as well, but that's a
>long way off.

Ellen replied:
	I move my plants all around the house trying to get sun. :-(
	It is no easy task when cloudy days make up the majority of the
	days. There are 3 amaryliss are in one south facing window that were
	moved around 10 am from a northeast (I think) window....they will
	be moved again to sit on an windowless table for the night since
	the windows are much too cold at night. I am just waiting to drop
	one of these large pots when I rush around trying not to step on
	a running dog....doesn't everybody live like this? :-)

To Rima and Ellen,

I don't know how this would fit into your lifestyle but you might think about
fluorescent lights in an area where you keep your plants.  I have them
suspended from the ceiling on adjustable chains over groups of plants in the
glassed room.  I also have roof windows and tons of glass but the sun does not
cooperate in November and December. It improves in January and February and is
much better in March.

I learned that 24 hour light speeded up seedlings and stopped dormancy in
those plants that wished to sleep and doing this found many of the more
interesting house plants (tropicals) like these conditions.  Hence, you
achieve lush and floriferous tropicals and you will never need a night light.

I do not turn them off until March when I start using a few hours of dark time
on plants that will be going outdoors.

I am trying new stuff each year and have been quite successful.  With around
the clock light, the amaryllis have strong stalks and do not become quite so
tall.

Just a thought in the throes of thoughts of 4 more months of sliding down the
driveway to get the mail.

Another thought I know someone will offer is that FINE GARDENING article on
winter gardens. I have seen that garden and reserve opinion because I saw it
on a really nasty day.  Perhaps someone else would like to comment on the
winter garden bearing in mind that those of us in zone 4 (or lower) don't have
a great sense of humor in a snow storm with or without witchhazel.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4 - Berkshire area