Species- pseudacorus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Species- pseudacorus
  • From: ECPep <ECPep@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 22:48:57 -0700 (MST)

<< Hi--
 The thing about irises is that each works well in different parts of the
 garden.  I just haven't found anything to beat I.pseud when it comes to
 landscaping a pond -- although the versicolors are gorgeous too.
 I. pseud was my first really successful iris and I love it to pieces.
 Rima  terra@catskill.net
 upstate ny  zone 4 >>

I agree with Rima.  I saw pseudacorus grown along many streams in England and
France.  It bordered ponds and was valued for it's strength and beauty, "not
for nothing" up here in the north.  Some of us just got to have a flower
nearly big as a shoebox to be impressed.  Others can appreciate the lighter
natural look.  I have long admired pseudacorus for it's vigorous growth, a
valuable feature on a large property.  We have a cream-white form, a double
form and the plain ordinary one.  To add to it's allure, it is easily grown
from seed.  I have a white one smack in the middle of my herb garden where it
looks like a shrub.  Lastly, the foliage is fine all season and so far I don't
know of any troubles with pseudacorus.  It may be just you and I Rima but we
have the pseud admiration society.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4 - Berkshire area