Re: SPEC-sanguinea

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC-sanguinea
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:58:14 -0700 (MST)

Henryanner wrote:

> << All this confirms that uncertainty is a feature of science. >>
>
> Yes.
>
> As I once mentioned in another context, the philosopher George Santayana said
> that science was best understood as "a body of informed opinion aspiring to be
> true."

Anner -- Thank you for reminding us once again of Santayana's
observation. He puts it  more delicately than I, who maintain that
(especially in the fields of anthropology and archaeology) the present
teaching of scientific "truth" in textbooks usually is only a reflection
of our current ignorance.

jgcrump@erols.com