Re: SPEC-sanguinea

Most of the wild PCN have a bit of variety in them and it seems unlikely that
most of our I. sanguineas that we grow in the US is the only color and that
there would be a range of colors, sizes and yes maybe a branch under good
growing conditions.  I wish we could get Shimizu to do some serious studying
and collecting so we'd have a wider gene pool from the species.  I feel that
Shakers Prayer is only a color variation of I. siberica and it is different.
In the early 1970s I had a seedling appear in my planting where I was growing
such things as Periwinkle, Tycoon, Kingfisher and others of the same vintage-I
still have pictures but almost identical to pictures in Dykes and YES 3-4
branches but that is typical and it is only in the hybrids with I. sanguinea
where the no branching is so dominant.  Anna Mae Miller, Kalamazoo, MI zone
nice winter days 40-50 this past week and green grass. Wonderful!