CULT: landscaping vs naturalizing

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: landscaping vs naturalizing
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:50:56 -0700 (MST)

Just in case this discussion has about died.....

How do 'landscapes' differ from 'naturalized plantings'?  Most of the
discussion of irises for landscaping has been about decorative plantings
around public buildings etc or what I think of as fairly intensively
managed landscapes.  But from what I have read, the Pacific coast
natives, I. missouriensis, the ancestral Louisianas and Japanese irises,
I. cristata, ?setosa?, ?and other species? all can be spectacular
growing in their native environments or in conditions made to imitate
native habitat.

Similarly, there are some bearded iris that can be quite lovely growing
in relatively untended landscapes as well-established clumps.  Are there
many tall bearded irises introduced in the last 30 years that can do
that?  I have a few - PERFUME COUNTER for instance.  I intend to find
out if STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN can do it.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA