Re: Seedlings

Nicki Shay wrote:
> Hello,   I have nothing in my iris garden that would appear to be a
> seedling to transplant into a pot.  Could someone clarify this for me?
> Do you mean a new tiny shoot taken from the mother plant?  I would love
> to grow some indoors, and I do have a hydrophonic garden with huge light
> overhead.  Would that do it?  Where could I purchase or obtain some
> "seedlings?"

I believe what Lloyd was refering to as seedlings are the offspring of
planned crosses.  These are "usually" unnamed and unregistered iris and
can be full sized.

You should be able in the fall, I would think it is too late now, to dig
an iris or a piece of a clump and carefully with as much rootball as
possible, put into a pot and place it under your lights.  Or start a
single plant in the spring in a pot and then in the fall bring it under
the lights.  Make sure it is a good sized rhizome and of course a known
and dependable rebloomer.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California...lowest low of the season last night...27F.
Zone 8