OT: Rot revisited

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help regarding rotting rhizomes.
A final synopsis of the returns I received is that most people recommended a
clorox treatment in concentrations running from 10% (most respondents) to
full strength (one respondent). There were also several persons who
recommended a household cleanser such as Comet that contains bleach.

I tried both methods on different rhizomes several days ago. We've had
nearly constant rain since then with a couple of minor snowfalls along
the way. In my own uninformed way, after checking the plants today, I
will vote for the cleanser idea. I don't know how fast either treatment works
but, all things being equal, the cleanser leaves a residue so one can see
where it was applied. It had actually formed a bit of a paste that still
covered the cut ends even after several inches of rain.

It has been wet enough that there was no chance to allow the cut ends to dry
at all before treatment so, while it may be a false sense of security, the
residue from the powdered cleanser is somewhat reassuring.

Thanks again for the responses,
Duane

Duane Buell "dbuell@ptialaska.net"
http://www.outdoorhq.com/garden/garden.htm