CULT: Under Lights

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Under Lights
  • From: Ensata <Ensata@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:42:28 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-12-19 16:39:56 EST, Duane wrote:

<< seedlings ..... growing well under lights with daily
 watering. I'm keeping them clipped off at about 10" and the tips of
 the plants are within an inch or two of the light tubes. ....am wondering if
they would do better .....in standing water ?  >>

No, to the question of standing water.  Its okay to water them by setting them
into trays of water for water take-up or if you have to go away for a week.
Otherwise, the roots will grow like mad through the tray of water and you'll
have to cut them off to get the plant out of its pot.    I clip mine off at
10" also, don't raise the lights....cool white bulbs only (warm white and gro-
lux are to help bloom), lights on 24 hours a day.  My table is 4ft x 8ft
plywood and my 8, 8ft tube fixtures are attached to 4ft x 8ft plywood attached
to the ceiling by chains.   I can get about 1700 seedlings under there.  I've
learned not to germinate the seeds much before Feb 1 (for line out June 1),
otherwise too much mowing and at least every other day watering by April !

John Coble in Michigan.