Japanese Iris

 	I am seeking any information on Japanese Iris and their needs.   >>

Hi Randy.... welcome to the list and hang on tight because it's quite a ride.

Japanese Irises happen to be my favorite type.  They bloom here in the
beginning of July and their grace and grandeur tone down some of the more
flamboyant summer-bloomers.  Also, their foliage - like siberian foliage -
looks good even when the plants aren't blooming.

A good investment for you would be THE JAPANESE IRIS, by Currier McEwen -
which will tell you everything you need to know about JI's (and has some great
color shots to boot).  Another wonderful investment is a membership in the
Society for Japanese Irises.

Japanese iris need acidy, moist soil.  In harsher climates (like my own), they
fare better if planted in the spring and can sulk when divided or moved.  I
generally plant mailorder plants in a pot for the first year where I can baby
them a bit then transplant in the spring when they're growing fastest.

IMHO, nothing can compare with a well-grown stand of JI's.

I look forward to meeting you at the convention!

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY.... where I figure I'll be ready for Christmas by New Years if I