Re: SPEC-setosa/hookeri

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC-setosa/hookeri
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@EROLS.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 20:22:05 -0700 (MST)

Bill Shear wrote:

> Griff- You've got me.  The portion of my message you repeated came over in
> plain English.  I suspect the problem is somewhere in your computer...
>
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
> (804)223-6172
> FAX (804)223-6374
> email<bills@hsc.edu>

Bill -- You apparently are right. I brought this strange occurrence up
to our technical support people at work. "Your machine hiccupped," was
the reply. "It threw the message into a different font. De-frag it."  I
went back to my office machine, which uses Windows 95, and dialed up
fonts. Lo and behold, there was a font named "Symbol", which, when I
applied it to one of my documents, converted it into Greek characters.
Obviously, my home computer has the same option. What this is used for
is beyond me. I did note, however, that in transliterating English into
Greek characters, the program uses Greek characters that LOOK like Roman
letters, i.e., using the "epsilon" and "eta" for "h", when it could just
as easily have used an aspiration mark, since they have the Greek
typeface. I am told that Apple does it the Greek way -- which I will
believe when I see it.

jgcrump@erols.com