Re: CULT: landscaping vs naturalizing

Linda  wrote:

.  But from what I have read, the Pacific coast
>natives, I. missouriensis, the ancestral Louisianas and Japanese irises,
>I. cristata, ?setosa?, ?and other species? all can be spectacular
>growing in their native environments or in conditions made to imitate
>native habitat.

Speaking of Pacific Coast iris for landscaping, etc, everybody should try to
look at a copy of the January Sunset magazine,  In an article on western
plants which have made a big impact in (mild-climate) gardening, there's a
gorgeous photo of I. douglasiana.  I'm assuming the I.D. is correct, as I've
never actually seen one, but now I wish I could.

Barb in Santa Fe, with a foot of snow on the ground, but then, everybody
else in the state is having the same problem.