Merry Christmas

Since other people have extended their wishes to all, I'd like to include
these wishes, which were the meditation from last Sunday's service at my

I wish us courage:
     courage to forget weariness and be childlike,
     courage to imagine we already have all we need,
     courage not to worry for a whole day,
     courage to bear pain and live anyway.

I wish us Christmas gifts--
     a brisk morning,
     a little love,
     something sweet to eat
     hope, in spite of everything
     at least one good laugh.

I wish us people--
     someone close,
     a stranger who surprises us with a smile,
     an encounter with an exstatic child;
     failing that, an enthusiastic grown-up.

I wish us ritual,
     a Christmas song that won't get out of our head
     a cliche of the season that suddenly means something,
     a moment when we stop and rest and are glad.

I wish us a little belief
     that the struggle is worth the struggle,
     that we have grown wiser,
     that there's still time to be happy,
     that we may not know what life means,
          but we're working on it.

I wish us confidence
     that there are good people out there we don't know about,
     good people we do know about,
     and a confidence that we're some of them!

                                                             Web Kitchell,
Church of Santa Fe

A Merry Christmas to All, from Barb