OT:Greetings, and Henry Mitchell

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT:Greetings, and Henry Mitchell
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:40:06 -0700 (MST)

Greetings of the season to all,

We hope we may be forgiven by the estate of the late, great, garden writer
Henry Mitchell of Washington D.C., whose writings are collected in the volumes
The Essential Earthman and One Man's Garden, who loved irises, roses, and
hounds most especially, for passing along the following passage to our friends
with our best wishes that their festivals and holidays of whatever kind may be
joyous and that their  coming new year may be prosperous.

"Gardening is not some sort of game by which one proves his superiority over
others, nor is it a marketplace for the display of elegant things that others
cannot afford. It is, on the contrary, a growing work of creation, endless in
its changing elements. It is not a monument or an achievement, but a sort of
traveling, a kind of pilgrimage you might say, often a bit grubby and sweaty
though true pilgrims do not mind that. A garden is not a picture, but a
language, which is of course the major part of life."

Anner and Henry