Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Claus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Claus
  • From: Richard Shehorn <rls2@bellatlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:51:28 -0700 (MST)

Hello all,
Sorry about that last message I hit the wrong key and sent it all out
befor I was finnished. In the Sepetember 12, 1897 edition of the "New
York Sun", there appered an unsighned editorial in responce to a letter
written by eight year old Virginia O'Hanlon. Here are both letters witch
if you have never herd before, I am sure will bring a little Christmass
Sperit to your hearts. "Dear Editor, I am eight years old, Some of my
little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "if you read it
in THE SUN, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is threr a Santa Claus?"

	"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as loved
and generosityy and devotion exists,, and you know that they abound and
give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be
world if ther were no Virginias. There would be no child like faith
then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable the existence. We should
have no enjoyment. . . . The eternal light with witch childhood fills
the world would be extinguished. . . . "Not belive in Santa Claus! You
might as well not belive in fairies. . .Nobodyy sees Santa Claus, but
that is no sighn that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in
the world are those that nither children nor men can see. Did you ever
see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of corse not, but thats no proof that
they are not there. Nobody can concive or imagine all the wonders there
are unseen and unseeable in the world. "No Santa Claus! Thank God he
lives and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay,
ten time ten thousands years from now, he will continue to make glad the
heart of childhood."

That editoral was written by editor Francis Church but, he wasent
credited with that bit of americana untill his death in 1906 when he
died and was given credit for it in his obituary. Although the "Yes
Virgina There Is A Santa Claus" turned 100 years old in September, this
letter still brings tears to the eyes of manny a grown man today who
read it.

I know that this has nothing to do with Irises but I though y'all would
like to read it for a bit of christmass sperit for in its words are the
true meaning of christmass.
| \ichard
Shehor/\/ Jr.
PS To the day she died, Virginia O'Hanlon ansewered questions about her
belife in Sant by saying "Yes, I still belive,"