Re: OT.rebloomers

Dale Clark writes:

> If anyone can read this I am interested in knowing what a rebloomer is. I
have
> some TB's and some MDB's . I have raised irises for a while but have
never
> hybridized. I saw the article on hybridizing and have copied to a disk
for
> future reference. Thank you. I hope thisgets out because i have tried
before
> and failed. Getting frustrated.

Hi Dale!

Congratulations! Your message got through this time.

A rebloomer is an iris that has the ability to bloom not only during the
normal iris season in the spring, but also to repeat its bloom one or more
times later in the season. Whether or not this ability is expressed depends
on a number of factors, including the climate in which the rebloomer is
grown and the care and attention it is given. Typically, rebloomers require
more frequent fertilization and more regular watering than once bloomers in
order to keep them in an actively growing condition throughout the season.
"Warm Climate" rebloomers often do not produce their rebloom stalks until
too late (October or November) for them to reach blooming stage in areas
where cold weather comes early. Iris growers in such areas should select
"Cold Climate" rebloomers, such as those bred by Lloyd Zurbrigg, who is a
member of this List. Hope this gives you at least the start of an answer to
the question you posed!

Now that you have successfully connected to the List, you may wish to post
a Bio and let everyone know more about your iris interests and where you
are located.

cwalters@digitalpla.net