HIST-REF Merrily's Gift Books, and HIPS

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST-REF Merrily's Gift Books, and HIPS
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:33:11 -0700 (MST)

Merrily Smith wrote:

<<  Couldn't wait to sit down at my computer and tell you all that I'm now the
 proud owner of Shull's RAINBOW FRAGMENTS, complete with all color plates
 before the title page, AND of the AIS reprint of the Cornell Bulletin 112
 (June 1925).  Ma gave 'em to me for Christmas; she's going to make me into
 an irisarian in every way -- believing as she does that historic rhizomes
 aren't enough -- book larnin' is essential.   >>

Merrily! What fun you will have with your wonderful new books! A wealth of
information and interesting reading awaits you in them! Come iris season in
Washington, D.C. you will be armed with knowledge and set to ramble with mom
and seek out latent treasures on Shull's own home turf! His formal plant
descriptions are some of the most comprehensive and accurate of surviving

I feel obliged to say that your fine reprint of Cornell 112 was brought to you
not by the fine folks at AIS, but by the fine folks at HIPS, the Historic Iris
Preservation Society, that group affiliated with AIS who are concerned with
the preservation of iris hybrids more than thirty years old, with historically
important species, with iris records, and with iris documents, some of which
are made available in reprint editions for our study and enjoyment.

The HIPS page is down at the moment, but later you should be able to check it
out for great articles, pictures, and information about the HIPS mission.

Anner M. Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS
Henryanner@aol.com, HIPSource@aol.com