Re: CULT: I. reticulata forcing

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: I. reticulata forcing
  • From: Irisborer <Irisborer@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:22:31 -0700 (MST)

<<
 Much to my chagrin, I found about a half dozen reticulata bulbs that I
 must have forgotten to get into the soil in the fall. Is there any
 possibility I could force them indoors?

OH YES...... they are probably the easiest bulb to force!

Plant the bulbs in a small pot.... 3 or 4 to a pot in good, damp potting soil.
Put them in a dark cold place for 6 to 10 weeks.  I use a cardboard box in an
unheated mudroom....   the pots are, therefore, not exposed to light.

After that time, you can open the box... then oouch them inside after a day or
two.  The darn things will be in bloom within a week.

BTW.... in WNY we discovered that potted and blooming reticulata bulbs are a
WONDERFUL draw for any spring Flower and Garden iris booth.

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY