Re: Harvest of Memories & QUESTION about POAST

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Harvest of Memories & QUESTION about POAST
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:36:38 -0700 (MST)

Nicki Shay wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I do not know those catalog firms here.
> Maybe you and I could exchange a rhizome when the proper time comes for
> dividing and replanting.
> We have Shreiners in Oregon and Cooley's in Oregon - and that is where
> all that I have came from.
> I am like all of you - I simply cannot wait for spring -so I can get out
> there in the dirt and work and wait for the glorious blooms.
> QUESTION TO ALL:  Please write with your experiences of using POAST - the
> herbacide that supposedly kills grass.  I have grass coming up everywhere
> - even tho I have cleaned it out repeatedly.  Are there any other
> products I can use - or - is POAST the best and safest?
> Thanks for your help.  Nicki Shay, Washington State

Nicki -- From those who have used it, I hear that Poast is an effective
all-grass killer and can be safely applied over established iris. (The
"established" is my own caution. I am leery of applying any kind of
killers over new transplants or seedlings.) However, I have given up on
Poast after being unable to find it or to order it through nurseries in
this area. Instead, I have used Basagran, and killed all the grasses,
including the worst pest (for me) -- yellow sedge (which was NOT killed
by Vantage), with no harm to the established irises. I recommend it.