Re: Bio

william b. cook wrote:

> >       I am seeking any information on Japanese Iris and their needs.  My
> garden
> > also accepts any Hybradizers seedling for testing and reporting at a mile
> > high.
> >
> Randy,
>      Welcome to the Iris List.  You should get the answers you need here.
> Japanese Irises need an acidic soil.  They need regular watering during the
> growing season.  Also, they should be mulched with Pine Needles or Pine
> Bark Mulch.
>
> Mark A. Cook            Low:    68 F  (20 C)
> billc@atlantic.net      High:   78 F  (26 C)
> Dunnellon, FL.          Now:   71 F  (22 C)      Cloudy.

Mark has given you the classic (and probably the best, haha) answer, but
our soil here in southeastern Michigan near Ann Arbor is mildly alkaline
(a problem I know you are all too familiar with), and I grow japanese
iris without a problem in a good quality but not especialled acidified
bed.  No doubt I do not get the fabulous blooms people with more optimum
conditions achieve, but they are lovely and healthy without much in the
way of effort for me.  Beth Metty, Munith, MI, Zone 5B/4A