OT-BIO: Karen Hughes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-BIO: Karen Hughes
  • From: KHuess <KHuess@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 22:46:13 -0700 (MST)

Greetings from Lincoln, Nebraska!  I have decided it is time to quit lurking
and introduce myself.  I have lived in one part or another of Nebraska all my
life and have appreciated irises most of that time, an inherited tendency I
believe.
Mostly I have raised bearded irises from 3 inches to 43 but of late I have
branched out to other types as well.  I have always liked about anything
growing from a bulb or tuber.

I am a frustrated gardener living on a city lot.  Irises (and eventually other
perennials) have taken over what used to be the vegetable garden and raised
borders the full length both sides of the back yard.  Flowers line the
driveway and the front of the house as well as the mailbox area and are
looking longingly at the remainder of the parking area.  We would make the
entire backyard into a flower garden but we are continuing to look for an
acreage and realtors advise us that our home is a "family" home and
prospective buyers will want a play area.....

In Lincoln we have already had 20 inches of snow this season which is unusual,
especially consider how warm the cold season has been so far.  El Nino maybe??
Anyway, I have had to pour my energies into indoor gardening where I have
hibiscus, carnations, gerbera daisies, passion vine, gardenias and azaleas all
blooming.  I have read with much interest all the mentions of potted iris
blooming indoors and will be looking into acquiring some of the varieties
suggested.

Karen Hughes----------->  Who is getting a greenhouse or garden window
installed
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)       in the kitchen as a gift from my husband  (he wants
the
                                     "d---- plants" off the kitchen counter)!