Re: SPEC-aphids

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC-aphids
  • From: ECPep <ECPep@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:21:23 -0700 (MST)

<< These same plants have been attached by a very small green aphid and I
 noticed that they are also quite abundant on my potted Louisianans.  At
 the same time, I can not find them on any of the other irises on the
 same table or plant stands.  >>

Indoor aphid attacks are more persistent than the outdoor sort.  I had a small
while aphid I thought I would never defeat.  On the hosta list I was given
lots of advice.  The best advice and the one that worked is to buy two or more
insecticides and alternate the treatments.  If you think only certain plants
are affected still inspect the others, aphids are travelers.

Aphids are complicated creatures bearing live young, requiring no male for
births, and among their many other attributes they become immune to whatever
poison you select.   A few can always survive.  So: if you clean off the
infected plants keep and eye on them for several months to come.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4 - Berkshire area