Re: Zones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Zones
  • From: ECPep <ECPep@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:35:16 -0700 (MST)

<< These zones are related to average minimum temperatures in that area, &
 thus give an idea of what plants will be winter hardy there (though you
 probably already have a pretty good idea of what will, and won't, grow).
 Sincerely,
 Kathy Haggstrom
 Anchorage, AK
 Zone 3
 hagg@alaska. >>

Kathy and group,

Another interesting aspect of zone is length of frost free growing season.  We
are shown geographically in zone 5.  Our altitude and mountainous location
reduce us to zone 4.  We have frosts later than zone 5 in spring and are all
done here by the middle of September.  (Sometimes we have a frost free Sept.
but not often)

The effect of this shorter season on many plants is that they cannot make
enough root growth or in some bulbs top growth to complete a full growth
cycle.  There are fruit trees that do no fruit in zone 4 as there are no bees
when they manage a few blossoms, etc.  Late blooming species (any species) are
cut down before they bloom.  Attaining height on shrubs and trees takes longer
than an warmer zone as they have less time to work at it.

It has been my experience that the degree of temperature is not as important
as the frost free season length.