Re: Zones

Richard, et al:

The Virtual Garden website Leslie posted will accept Zip codes as a
means of determining your USDA zone. This is most helpful when the state
in question is as small as Delaware because you don't have to peer at a
map showing the various zones in colors or cross-hatching.

As others have already noted, the various zone designations are only the
starting point for figuring out what you can, & can't, grow in your
particular location -- but they're better than nothing.

BTW, I was recently perusing a book with maps showing gardening zones
thruout the world -- what really surprised me was how much colder
average winter temps are in nearly ALL the US & Canada when compared
with nearly All of Europe, including Great Britain & Scandinavia. Two
things occurred to me: an even greater admiration than I'd previously
felt for the immigrants from the Old World who succeeded as farmers in
the New World, under much harsher conditions than they'd been used to, &
a clearer understanding of why English garden books, for example, can be
so misleading when they talk about a plant's "hardiness". Interesting.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4 (USDA)/Sunset Zone 1  Colorado