  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:33:08 -0700 (MST)

Nicki Shay wrote:
> Thanks to all who have written in answer to my question about Poast.  Now
> I have learned that there is a product called Basagran that works perhaps
> better.
> And Vantage was mentioned.  Anymore info on that product?
> Does anyone know why Poast is so difficult to find?  Who made it?
> And Basagran - where does one expect to find it?  And, is it concentrated
> and diluted for spraying?

Nicki -- Vantage is very limited in which grassy weeds it kills -- it
doesn't kill sedges or bluegrass, for instance -- and it doesn't kill
broadleaf weeds. Frankly, I don't know why an irisarian would use it
unless, like me, he bought it on a clerk's recommendation without
reading the fine print.

Poast can't be found in the Washington area -- but then, lots of things
common to the real world aren't found here. I think it is manufactured
by a company in the research triangle of North Carolina with which I was
unable to make contact by phone when I was looking.

I get Basagran at my local hardware store (which, see above, must mean
it can be found anywhere). It is a liquid concentrate for spraying -- 10
teaspoons to 2 gallons of water. Don't let it freeze. It costs $22 a
pint here.

If you want to learn more about Poast, you might want to check the
Archives. There was a lot of discussion about herbicides, including
Poast, during the past year.

Follow the instructions for mixing Basagran very carefully. The wrong
proportions can damage your irises.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where the
leading edge of a snowstorm is just arriving. I saw lots of ducks
huddling in a tidal gut as I drove home this evening. I'm sure the
mergansers are glad they have their hoods.  jgcrump@erols.com