REB: Bruce's Bewildering Bonanza

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REB: Bruce's Bewildering Bonanza
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 17:14:44 -0700 (MST)

Bruce Filardi has raised the question of what is happening in his Portland
garden where some of his new TB's are up to stuff in January for goodness

<< I got home from work yesterday and found that four of my irises are
 getting ready to bloom.  One is actually extending a bloomstalk  upward; the
other three are just beginning to poke bloomstalks up  from among the foliage.
I'm guessing that this must be a freak  result of el-Nino-weather.  The most
advanced plant is Edith Wolford;  the others are Planned Treasure, La Fortune,
and Gypsy Woman. >>

Now, the question seems to be whether these things are blooming early after
having been lulled into a false sense of security by the clement weather---
which sounds not quite plausible given that his other iris plants are showing
effects of winter--- or whether they are blooming late, having failed to bloom
this spring in the garden from whence they came--- something  we cannot
know--- or whether they are "reblooming". I know that EDITH WOLFORD has been
known to rebloom, but what about the others?

And what must Bruce to do to safeguard the health of his new and enthusiastic
plants in the long run? I'd like to hear your thoughts, too.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com