Re: iris books

Wayne & Leslie Jobe write:
>  I just had to tell you
> what a friend gave us for Christmas. He found ,in a used book store, a
> 1930 issue of "The Iris" by John C. Wister.

Congratulations! Not only do you now have an interesting early iris book
authored by the first President of the AIS, but you are in possession of a
copy (or at least one man's version) of the notorious *Black List*.
Speaking of which, the BL must have been effective or, at least, consistent
with the general opinion of the times, since as far as I can perceive at
least 98% of the varieties listed therein are no longer of this world.

Oh, where have you gone Abdul Aziz, Artaxerxes, Bigotini, Crepuscule,
Goldbound (not Jap.), Igouf, Madcap, Ruberrima, and Willie Barr? In whose
phantom palace do Lord MaCauley and Lady Stump, Prince of Orange and Reine
des Belges, King Humbert and Princess of Teck flaunt their regal airs? In
what ghostly ballroom do Mme. de Baunne and Edna Mercia, Mrs. Lubiter and
Mary Grey dance upon the wind? And saddest of all, shall we never again
behold that which was Joie de l'oeil?