Re: Garden Books on Irises

>L.Zurbrigg wrote:
>>
>> My grandmother White was borh
>> Charity Brine inEngland, a daughter of James Brine, the youngest of the
>> Tolpuddle martyrs. . . agricultural workers who were transported for
>>trying to organize
>> labor unions for agric. workers.  Lloyd Zurbrigg, iris hybridizer, Durham
>> NC USA
>
>Lloyd -- Your posting to Fiona Walsh, above, indicates we have something
>else in common besides our hybridizing debt to Earl Roberts of Indiana
>-- namely, my grandfather, Arthur Breckinridge Crump, was a local
>officer (in Indiana) of the Knights of Labor, the pioneering body of the
>American labor movement, when it was still a secret organization in the
>1870's.
>
>Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA
>jgcrump@erols.com

  Dear Griff:  Happy New Year!. Very interesting about your grandfather.
Also interesting that this was about 40 years after great-grandfather was
sent to Australia. After they got back to England, they continued to be
persecuted by the Anglican Church, and eventually decided to emigrate to
Canada. They made a pact among themselves, never to speak of the past in
any way. My mother was in her forties before she ever learned about all
this!! Her mother, Charity, lived with us until I reached ten, and she 90.
Four siblings lived to be well over 90. Lloyd Z in Durham NC