HIST: Amoena, amoena (Was iris info)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST: Amoena, amoena (Was iris info)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:39:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi y'all!
This discussion of the breakthrough amoena WABASH left me wondering about
the term amoena, and how strictly it should be applied. If we were talking
about another bicolor with creamy white standards rather than WABASH's
snowy white S, could that plant also be called an "amoena"? Does a faint
blue tint make a plant ineligible?
How white does the white have to be?

Speaking of WABASH, one of my most favorite old plants, new starts seem to
take a dreary long time getting established in my garden. A full clump will
pick right up and get growing, but an offset or paired offsets will linger
and mope and poke only the thumbnail tippy tips of fans out of the growth
point for months on end. Is this common? I know the amoena hybridizer Jesse
Wills complained about the low germination rate and slow development of
amoena seedlings (TWOI p. 109). Any connection to my WABASH's slow starts?
Or am I just mistreating it?

Little Rock