Re: HIST: Amoena, amoena (Was iris info)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HIST: Amoena, amoena (Was iris info)
  • From: Barb Johnson <lgjohnson@getonthe.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:25:51 -0700 (MST)

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:
> Hi y'all!
> This discussion of the breakthrough amoena WABASH left me wondering about
> the term amoena, and how strictly it should be applied. If we were talking
> about another bicolor with creamy white standards rather than WABASH's
> snowy white S, could that plant also be called an "amoena"? Does a faint
> blue tint make a plant ineligible?
> How white does the white have to be?
> Speaking of WABASH, one of my most favorite old plants, new starts seem to
> take a dreary long time getting established in my garden. A full clump will
> pick right up and get growing, but an offset or paired offsets will linger
> and mope and poke only the thumbnail tippy tips of fans out of the growth
> point for months on end. Is this common? I know the amoena hybridizer Jesse
> Wills complained about the low germination rate and slow development of
> amoena seedlings (TWOI p. 109). Any connection to my WABASH's slow starts?
> Or am I just mistreating it?
> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock

TOLL GATE (Paul Cook '59) has very pale blue standards and purple falls,
and is called an amoena in the checklist. It's one I got locally this

I got WABASH in Sept. 1996 from a friend-- a mama and 4 attached babies.
I took the babies off and planted them in a big pot outside. Only one
has survived; the mama tried to make another baby but soon they both
died. The one surviving rhizome now has 4 small new babies, but it has
taken all this time to do it.  I look forward to it blooming SOMETIME!

Cheers, Barb Johnson        lgjohnson@getonthe.net
Near Springfield, MO        AIS, HIPS, RIS, MIS     AIS Region 18
USDA Zone 5b and Western Zone 35, Leslie tells me.