  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-CHAT: GLOOSCAP award
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 16:16:17 -0700 (MST)

John Montgomery has offered a new award for our consideration:

>In keeping with the times, I am announcing the first "GLOOSCAP AWARD" for
>the most memorable off topic posting of 1997.

John has nominated Bill Shear's odd bit about the spiders and the false
teeth as best OT post of the year. Such a nomination cannot stand alone. If
the award is to be worthy of the awarding, there must be a competition of
some sort. Fortunately, we have seen many other posts of equal or greater
irrelevancy. Some would say too many.

>From that number, I am privileged - nay, compelled - to nominate Walter
Moore's excellent recipe for grasshopper etouffe. Not only was this
off-topic foray truly and completely OT, it was historical, folklorical and
*useful.* Thanks to Walter's creative and diligent misuse of bandwidth, we
all now know what to do with our extra grasshoppers, whether we want to
know or not.

To buttress Walter's claim to desert of this prize, I urge everyone to
pause a moment in your deliberations, to bow your heads over the effort
that went into the proferred post. Walter did *research.* He looked up his
recipe. He did not peel it off the top of his imagination or suction it
from the dregs of memory. He opened a book and turned pages. It is even
possible that he left his computer desk in pursuit of the necessary

Left his computer desk! Imagine it, my friends. Would you or I or Bill
Shear have had the interest, the stamina, the ... moxy?

Now, I can almost hear Bill's supporters protesting that it would be a dire
mistake to award the prize to a cheerfully willful chap like our Walter,
who will only take it as encouragement to produce more and more of the same
silliness. In contrast, the deliberate and somber Dr. Shear could be
counted upon not to take his endorsement as a license to run amok with

While anyone can see the intelligence in such a consideration, I remind
everyone that the name of this award is the GLOOSCAP award. Although I do
not know at all what that means, whether it is an acronym or an arcane word
or some coinage unique to John Montgomery, I know we must all of us admit
that it does not *sound* as though it means anything even remotely related
to foresight, prudent planning or reticence. No, an award with a name as
enthusiastic as GLOOSCAP must needs be applied to those whose creativity
has run amok, however rashly they may react upon receipt.

And so, my listing friends, I give you Walter Moores' excellent entry, a
GLOOSCAP-worthy OT posting if ever there were one:

 This is in the same category with ex-wives, so if thine eye is
offended, pluck it out, or enter delete.

                Grasshopper Etouffe'

        4 pounds Texas grasshoppers
        6 cups water
        Salt to taste
        Black pepper to taste
        Red pepper to taste
        3 C. chopped onion
        1 C. chopped celery
        1 C. chopped green pepper
        8 cloves garlic smushed
        2 tablespoonscornstarch
        3 cups grasshopper water
        1 8 oz. can tomato paste

        Cook grasshoppers seasoned with salt, black and red pepper.
Drain, reserving 3 cups grasshopper water.  Peel grasshoppers.  Set aside.
Melt margarize.  Add onions, celery, green papper and garlic.  Cook slowly
in uncovered heavy pot until onions melt.  Add seasoned grasshoppers.
Dissolve cornstarch in grasshopper water and add to mixture.  Add tomato
paste and cook 15 minutes over low heat.  Serve over dirty rice.

        Best to use shrimp cocktail serving dish with fresh grasshoppers
arranged around the edge of the dish as garnish.

        Delicious with creme de menthe with twist of grasshopper similar
to twist of lemon.

        For dessert, serve Grasshopper Pie.  Make as for Key Lime Pie, but
add two cups of cooked, sweetened grasshoppers.

        Chef Mowerz
        Nawlins, Louzeeana

submitted by celia
Little Rock, Arkansas   USDA Zone 7b ... almost 10.5 inches above normal
annual rainfall of 49+ inches