Re: iris info

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: iris info
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:34:38 -0700 (MST)

william b. cook wrote:

. . .  (trying) to lift the description from the
> color code in the 1939 AIS Checklist.  Deciphering those colors it
> difficult at best.

Mark -- Your reply reminds me of a subject I've been intending to bring
up for some time, namely, the difficulty of describing colors. One may
be able to match the color in the R.H.S. Colour Chart, but "80 A" (the
deepest hue of one of  three sets of purple-violet shades) doesn't
connote much. One still is left to describe that hue in words that,
hopefully, call up a common image to the greatest number of hearers. The
R.H.S. Colour Chart introduction alludes to this problem when it states
that "the group names are not intended as colour names. Although colour
names were used in the 1941 Horticultural Colour Chart, the multiplicity
of them defeats their object." It then gives a few examples of names
that it considers "meaningless to the great majority of people." Well,
perhaps so, but I'd like to see what was tried. Does anyone have the
1941 chart, and what is your opinion of it? Does it depict as many
colors (808) as the current chart? The current R.H.S. Colour Chart
establishes an international standard for identifying colors, but
doesn't seem to help in describing them.

Happy New Year!

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, who will be
playing a bit part in a dinner-cum-murder mystery at a New Year's Eve
party later tonight and was asked to bring along a sword -- to which my
reply was, "If I'm going to be a spear-carrier, why am I bringing a
sword?"  jgcrump@erols.com.