At 04:16 PM 97-12-31 -0700, Celia wrote:
>I remind everyone that the name of this award is the GLOOSCAP award.
Although >I do not know at all what that means, whether it is an acronym or
an arcane >word or some coinage unique to John Montgomery, I know we must
all of us admit
>that it does not *sound* as though it means anything even remotely related
>to foresight, prudent planning or reticence. No, an award with a name as
>enthusiastic as GLOOSCAP must needs be applied to those whose creativity
>has run amok, however rashly they may react upon receipt.
>Little Rock, Arkansas   USDA Zone 7b ... almost 10.5 inches above normal
>annual rainfall of 49+ inches

GLOOSCAP was/is a diety of the Algonquin Indians and although I am no
expert in these mattters, I understand that he had a mischevious bent. Sort
of a trickster as is RAVEN of the tribes of the Pacific North West Coast.
He certainly had a serious side though and that was why I thought that the
spider phobia-rattling false teeth explanation would be fitting.

Further off the topic but perhaps permissible during this season, one of
the gifts which I received at Christmas was a slim volume of cowboy poetry.
Included was a short essay on the art of story telling. The author holds
that when a good tale is well told, you know for certain that 50% of it is
lies. The mark of the best ones is that you are not able to tell which half
is true and which is false.

John Montgomery
Vernon BC where we were one of the few places in Western Canada to have a
white Christmas (and New Years).