CULT: Borers--host plants and fall clean-up

From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>

I have noticed that borers are more likely to do damage in my Louisana
beds than elsewhere in the garden. In mild winters, they never really go
dormant, so fall clean-up is more time-consuming.

I know that dead foliage should be completely destroyed or removed to
eliminate the borer eggs--which brings up a politically sensitive
question. I understand that burning is the best way of on-site disposal,
but for many of us that is illegal--especially with the lack of rain
this year. In my community, on-site composting is strongly urged and is
deemed "politically correct" as it is with most gardeners. Since I hold
political office, I am not going to 1)set bags of foliage by the street,
2)take compost material to the dump myself or 3)burn illegally. Is there
a way to effectively compost the debris from the massive fall clean-up
AND assure that I have not provided an over-wintering spot for the
borer?

TIA

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva